Sunday, 11 September 2011

Never Forget...









Today I'm dedicating my thoughts and this post to the memory of the people that lost their lives on 9/11.

It's hard to believe that it's ten years ago already, so much has happened to the world and indeed in my own life since then.

Ten years ago today I was heavily pregnant with my firstborn child, my son Jake.  I was sitting at home on the sofa watching daytime tv.. (such is the joys of maternity leave!), I was having some quiet time alone with my ever expanding bump actually.. we'd been in the shower and applied lotion to the mass of stretch marks..lol,  had lunch and were settled on the sofa watching the tv whilst my hubby Rich went to Tesco's for the weekly supplies.

I remember being irritated as the newsflash bulletin interrupted my lazy day and I wondered what had happened.. nothing could have prepared me or any of us for what happened next.. for what was about to unfold before our eyes.

It shocked me.. it shocked everyone.  I remember phoning Rich in Tescos and telling him to find a tv in the electrical department.. I remember the faces of the newsreaders as they delivered the devastating details.. I remember the look of horror on the peoples faces and felt their fear as they watched what was happening to their beloved city and her people..I remember watching their pain and listening to their anguished cries and screams as the towers fell and they watched their loved ones die..  I screamed myself as they fell and I prayed with them as they searched for survivors... and I cried with them as they mourned their dead.

I know I'm not the only one that watched with her heart in her mouth as America struggled through her darkest hour and I also know I'm not the only one who will never forget..

Someone posted on facebook something so simple and yet so moving.. I thought I'd share..

"For the husband who told his wife I love you one last time before his plane went down in a field, for the wife who stopped in the stairs to call her husband to say I will love you forever, for the mothers and fathers who kissed their kids goodbye the morning they died, for the policemen who rushed in with the firemen to help get others out only to die themselves, for the soldiers who fought back and lost their lives. Today, tomorrow, ten years from now, we will remember.. Never forget 9/11/01."

No comments: